Oratory School in Reading, Berkshire is the boarding school for boys only in England. Oratory School is famous for great single sex education. It is independent boarding school with great location near London. Through national research the School has been voted Sports School of the Year by Education Business Awards 2011, Best Art & Design at A-Level and Best Results for Art & Design at GCSE in an English School (Good Schools Guide); Top 20 Independent Boarding Schools in the UK (Best Schools ); Top 30 Boys' Independent Senior Schools in the UK (The Times ); Top Independent School in the UK for Sport (Daily Telegraph).
This boarding school is situated near London in acres of beautiful English countryside with easy access to both motorways and airports including Heathrow and Gatwick. Most academic staff live on the main site or in school houses in the adjoining village.
As a medium size boarding school s we provide small classes and close supervision. The Oratory is truly international boarding school and has an international reputation for a first-class-all-round education. The school attracts boys from the UK and across the world, from the Catholic community and from other traditions. In 2010, Cardinal Newman was beatified by Pope Benedict XVl in a special Beatification Mass held at Cofton Park in Birmingham which was a very special day for the School.
Oratory School in Reading is one of top UK co-educational boarding schools. The Oratory School came into being on 1st May 1859. It was founded by Blessed John Henry Newman, at the request of a group of eminent Catholic laymen of the time, in order to provide a boarding school for boys run on English public school principles for the small English Catholic community. It remained attached to the house of the Oratory Fathers in Birmingham until 1922, when it moved to what is now the BBC Monitoring Station at Caversham Park, Reading. The Fathers of the Birmingham Oratory handed over control of the School to a Governing Body in 1931, but links with the London and Oxford Oratories, as well as with the one at Birmingham, remain strong. The School made a further move in 1942, to settle finally on its present site at Woodcote, South Oxfordshire, some 40 miles west of London. Over the last sixty years the Governing Body has developed a range of modern buildings in which to house Cardinal Newman’s idea of how to educate the young. The School now educates boys from all religious traditions, from within and outside the Catholic tradition.
Registered in England and Wales Registered number 8369137